Barcelona captain Messi banned 3 months from international football

Posted August 04, 2019

The latest ban will see Messi miss out of Argentina matches up to November, meaning the playmaker will be a no-show in global matches.

SAO PAULO, BRAZIL - JULY 06: Lionel Messi of Argentina and Gary Medel of Chile argue with Referee Mario Diaz de Vivar after being shown the red card during the Copa America Brazil 2019 Third Place match between Argentina and Chile at Arena Corinthians on July 06, 2019 in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

"We were meant for more but they didn't let us be in the final".

Argentina soccer superstar Lionel Messi was suspended Friday from worldwide matches with his national team for three months after he accused Copa América organizers of corruption.

He has also been fined $50,000 by CONMEBOL and will miss Argentina's friendly encounters vs Chile, Mexico and Germany.

Messi had already complained against Copa America refereeing after Argentina's 2-0 loss to Brazil in the semifinals.

Messi's accusations stemmed from last month's Copa America third-place clash with Chile's Gary Medel that saw both players sent off.

Messi had earlier been handed a one-match competitive global ban for his red card, ruling him out of Argentina's first qualifier for the 2022 World Cup.

Neither Messi nor Argentina's football association has made comments about CONMEBOL's decision.

"We don't have to be part of this corruption", the Argentina skipper said at the time.

The ban will however not disrupt Argentina's qualifying campaign for the 2022 FIFA World Cup, as the qualifiers begins in March 2020. The corruption and the refs didn't allow the people to enjoy and football is ruined.

Asked if he feared being suspended for his comments, he said "the truth needed to be told". He later sent an apology letter to CONMEBOL for the comments.