Saudi minister says Khashoggi's death was a 'rogue operation' and a 'mistake'

Posted October 22, 2018

October 15: almost two weeks after Khashoggi's disappearance, teams of Turkish investigators enter the consulate to start their search. Those having such links will be held accountable and brought to justice, it said. "Defending freedom of the press is a key priority for Finland", the tweet read.

SPA also reported that 18 Saudi citizens have been arrested over links to Khashoggi's death.

"It offers no consolation to have Saudi officials confirm what the whole world already knows-Jamal Khashoggi was murdered inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul".

Saudi Arabia's foreign minister has said Riyadh is still not aware of where the remains of slain journalist Jamal Khashoggi are, calling the killing a "rogue operation" and a "huge mistake".

Turkey's president says he will announce on Tuesday the findings of a Turkish investigation into the death of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi. "Our condolences go out to them, we feel their pain", Mr Jubeir said.

He told the news program that Saudi-US ties would "weather" the Khashoggi case.

The disappearance of Khashoggi has provoked global criticism of Saudi Arabia's de-facto ruler, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and convulsed the kingdom as it struggles to respond to increasing worldwide pressure to explain the journalist's fate. While President Donald Trump has accepted Saudi Arabia's unfounded explanation that Khashoggi was killed during a fist fight, Graham wants action. Merkel said "nothing has been explained so far and we need to explain it".

Saudi Deputy Intelligence Chief Ahmad al-Assiri and Media Adviser of the Saudi Royal Court Saud al-Qahtani were sacked. "We don't know where the body is", he said.

Asked if Khashoggi's body had been dismembered, al-Jubeir said Saudi investigators "are working on this with our Turkish colleagues".

French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said many questions "remain unanswered", echoing calls for an investigation.

Lawmakers from both parties, several of whom had been briefed on the US intelligence, immediately rejected the Saudi account as lacking credibility.

He continued, "I think it stretches credulity to believe that the Crown Prince wasn't involved in this".

Turkish media reports said more than a dozen Turkish staff members of the consulate - including technicians, drivers, telephone operators and accountants - were being interviewed by prosecutors. He said 18 people have been detained in connection to the probe.