Turkey: Rocket attacks from Syrian enclave wound 9 people

Posted February 04, 2018

The attack on the tank, details of which were not disclosed, was also the single deadliest attack on the military of the offensive so far.

A previous statement said one serviceman was killed and another wounded in that attack.

Turkey says it has killed some 900 Kurdish fighters, but this can not be independently verified.

Turkish forces immediately responded to attacks with Fırtına howitzers.

Meanwhile, seven civilians have been killed in mortar fire on the Turkish side of the border that Ankara blames on the YPG.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday that Turkish troops were taking high ground and would now head towards the town of Afrin itself, saying: "There is not much to go".

"The Turkish government should issue standard instructions to the border guards at all crossing points that lethal force must not be used against asylum seekers and no asylum seeker is to be mistreated, but should be given access to medical aid when required", HRW said. The rights group said most families exhaust all their resources paying smugglers anywhere from $300 to $8,000 per person to reach Turkey. But the group said, "Turkey's generous hosting of large numbers of Syrians does not absolve it of its responsibility to help those seeking protection at its borders".

The Ankara governor's office said authorities had also detained eight people suspected of links to the alleged bomber, whom it identified as a man who had trained with Kurdish militants in Syria.

On Jan. 20, Turkey launched Operation Olive Branch along with the Free Syrian Army (FSA) to clear PYD/PKK and Daesh terrorists from Afrin, northwestern Syria.