Utah policeman fired for arrest of nurse who was doing her job

Posted October 12, 2017

The officer, Detective Jeff Payne, is planning to appeal the firing.

"I do think that Salt Lake City did a fair job of doing the investigation, and I think that their findings are, by and large, accurate", Panye's attorney Greg Skordas told the Salt Lake Tribune. He gets five days to do so.

A Utah police officer was sacked Tuesday after being seen on video roughly handcuffing a nurse because she refused to allow a blood draw in an incident that became a flashpoint in the national conversation about use of force.

But Mr Payne did not present a warrant to collect the blood sample, as required by hospital policy, and state and federal law. The University of Utah Hospital also changed its policy so that officers are not allowed to interact with nurses and must see a supervisor. After a tense exchange that lasted several minutes, Payne snapped. They questioned why the police department took action against Payne only after the bodycam footage was released to the public. He was an off-duty reserve Idaho police officer driving a semitrailer when he was hit by a man fleeing police in a pickup truck. The incident went viral after body cam video emerged of the altercation, sparking a conversation about the officers unnecessary use of force and nurse and patient's rights.

In addition to his job as a police officer, Payne was also fired from a separate job as a part-time paramedic.

In his letter to Tracy, Brown called him the "catalyst that led to the arrest".

The statements made by Payne and Tracy during their Internal Affairs investigations were redacted from Brown's letters.

He said the order created chaos and unnecessarily escalated the situation.

In the police body cam video, Payne expressed repeated frustration after the nurse told him he would not obtain a blood sample.

Brown said Tracy showed a lack of judgment and leadership.

"Substantial damage has been done to the Department's relationship with nurses, the Hospital and, equally important, the public we serve", he wrote.

Wubbels and her attorney Karra Porter say they went public with the footage of the arrest because they believed police were not taking the matter seriously enough. "But further discussions are needed".

The letter said Wubbels told investigators that Tracy minimized her concerns, intimidated and lectured her, and made her feel like she was to blame for the events.

Asked about a potential lawsuit, Porter said she expects to meet soon with city officials to discuss next steps that could include settlement talks. She wasn't charged, but in the video depicting her arrest, she appears visibly shaken, screaming for help.

Police chief Mike Brown chose to terminate Payne's employment after reviewing information about the incident, records showed.

In a news conference on Tuesday, Wubbels told reporters she was grateful her arrest was recorded.

One of the ways that they reportedly try to do this is by training officers to slow down so that they have time to rethink their approach. "Without that, my story never would have had the impact it has had".