Vehicle bomb attack kills nine in Mogadishu

Posted June 21, 2017

Somalia's prime minister is condemning the suicide vehicle bomb blast in Mogadishu that left at least 15 dead, saying the attack targeted civilians preparing for Eid celebrations.

The death toll may rise, as some were badly hurt in the explosion at Wadajir district headquarters in Mogadishu, Capt. Mohamed Hussein told The Associated Press.

In a separate incident, Abdiwahid Khalif Ahmed, the head of Amniyat, a unit of Al-Shabab responsible for carrying out assassinations and bombings in Mogadishu, was arrested by security agents on Monday, Reuters reported.

More to follow soon.

Muktar Ali Issak, Chairman of the Disabled Persons in the southern Bay region, said 32 children had been recruited around markets where they mostly beg. More than 6 people feared dead and other injured among them is the district commissioner of Wadajir, Omar Abdullahi, said Police official. Another soldier who was at the scene at the time was released without charge, the report added.

MOGADISHU, Somalia- A auto bomb explosion was reported has targeted an administrative office in the Somali capital of Mogadishu on Tuesday afternoon, killing at least six people, Garowe Online reports.

Last Thursday, at least 18 people were killed when six Shabaab militants launched a strike on two neighbouring restaurants in Mogadishu.

Al-Shabaab's stated aim is to expel peacekeeping forces and topple the federal government in Somalia in order to impose Sharia law throughout the nation.

Speaking during the event, South West Minister of Disarmament, Demobilisation and Reintegration Hassan Hussein Elay said his administration would take every step possible to stop violence against children, including their recruitment as child soldiers.