Mom says a fidget spinner almost killed her kid

Posted May 18, 2017

The mother pulled the vehicle over and her daughter pointed to her throat indicating that she swallowed something.

Kelly Rose Joniec/FacebookIn case you can't picture what happened, Joniec also shared a photo that illustrates just how easily this could happen to any young child.

Other families are issuing similar alerts, with a Georgia grandmother warning that a fidget spinner came apart in her 3-year-old grandson's hands.

The Texas mother wrote on Facebook Monday night that she was on the way home from a swim meet with Britton when she heard her daughter choking in the back seat.

"Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth - she could utter noises, but looked panicked, so I immediately pulled over", Joneic wrote.

"She pointed to her throat saying she'd swallowed something, so I attempted Heimlich but there was no resistance", Joniec continued in the post.

Describing herself as "frantic", the mother said she rushed her daughter to urgent care.

After the auto was pulled over, the daughter told her mom that she had swallowed part of her fidget spinner when she was trying to clean it.

"Fortunately we had a positive outcome, but it was pretty scary there for a while".

Joniec had a word of caution for parents about the toy, which originally was designed as a therapeutic tool for kids with ADHD and autism. "Kids of all ages may be getting them, but not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings", she said.

Fidget spinners are the latest craze, but one woman is warning others about her daughter's almost fatal experience with the toy.

A 10-year-old girl in Texas had a frightening experience after choking on a part from a fidget spinner.

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission told CNN, "Anything with small parts, keep it away from young children".

Joniec writes that parents should be alert and cautious with kids playing with fidget spinners. They have gained enough popularity to become a classroom distraction, however, adn many public schools have banned the toys, according to Dallas News.