Renault production resumed at most sites after WannaCry ransomware attack

Posted May 16, 2017

French auto manufacturer Renault has also confirmed that production was halted at a number of its factories because of the attack.

Renault-Nissan said yesterday that output had returned to normal at almost all its plants, after a global cyber attack caused widespread disruption including stoppages at several of the auto alliance's sites.

The stoppages were deliberate and preventive, Renault said, as sites reporting infections were unplugged from the network to prevent their spread.

The WannaCry ransomware attack began on Friday, impacting computers at United Kingdom hospitals, utilities in Spain, and Russia's interior ministry.

In Asia, some hospitals, schools, universities and other institutions were affected, though the full extent of the damage is not yet known because it is the weekend.

On Saturday night, the company began restoring operations at some of the halted plants with the goal of getting nearly all of the affected production back online by Monday morning. The Slovenian plant produces the Renault Twingo (pic above) and Clio hatchbacks.

The company's management confirmed the cyber attack said on Saturday. Renault was the only French company affected by the cyber attack-and the only automaker.

Renault-owned Dacia said on Saturday some of its production in Romania had been hit.

France's ANSSI digital security agency said that for the moment, it knew of no other French victims of the attack.

The Newcastle Evening Chronicle reported, that production was briefly halted Friday evening.

The "WannaCry" ransomware cyberattack that started and spread fast last Friday has affected many organisations across Europe, from UK's National Health Service to the Russian Interior Ministry.

Nissan's Sunderland plant, which employs around 7,000 people, became highly symbolic after the Brexit vote.