Healthy student dies after drinking too much caffeine

Posted May 16, 2017

A coroner says a 16-year-old SC high school student had an otherwise healthy heart before he died from heart problems linked to drinking too much caffeine.

According to the coroner, Cripe had consumed a large diet Mountain Dew, a cafe latte from McDonald's and some kind of energy drink in the span of two hours.

Too much caffeine caused the death of a 16-year-old high school student from SC who collapsed during class last month, according to the county coroner.

The official cause of death for Davis Allen Cripe, 16, was a "caffeine-induced cardiac event", said Richland County Coroner Gary Watts.

Sean Cripe, Davis' father, told WLTX-TV his son did not drink alcohol or use drugs, and warned other parents about allowing their children to drink high-caffeinated energy drinks.

Father: "It wasn't a auto crash that took his life".

Watts made the announcement during a Monday news conference with Davis' father, Sean.

A caffeine overdose has been ruled the cause of death of a SC teenager last month, a state coroner reported on Monday.

EMS received the call about Davis collapsing in class at 2:28 p.m., Watts said.

Watts did not specify which energy drinks were consumed, but in general, a 24-ounce energy drink can contain as much as 500 milligrams of caffeine.

Watts said an autopsy of Cripe showed no signs of an "unfounded" or "undiagnosed heart condition". "Parents, please talk to your kids about these energy drinks".

'And teenagers and students, please stop buying them. Therefore, by drinking just three highly caffeinated beverages, Cripe could have easily consumed well over the daily limit of 400 mg in just two hours, leading to a caffeine overdose.

Part of the danger in what happened to Davis, Watts said, is that caffeine and energy drinks affect people differently. "I'm telling my friends and family don't drink them".