5 face weapons charges in deadly New Jersey highway shootout

Posted August 31, 2016

One person was killed in a deadly shootout along a highway near Egg Harbor Township, N.J., and four more wounded Monday afternoon.

Around the same time, a bullet-riddled Ford Expedition - it was hit 21 times, according to police - missing a rear tire and windows, barreled into the parking lot of the Egg Harbor Township Wawa store along Tilton Road, witnesses said. First Class Gregory Williams, said the incidents appeared to involve several people "firing at each other from three different vehicles".

State Police say they believe that the people in two cars involved in the shootout knew each other and it was not a random act. There they found 22-year-old Rosemund Octavius, of Egg Harbor Twp., in the passenger's seat of a silver Nissan Maxima.

The driver of the vehicle, Anthony Hicks, 24, of Mays Landing, was not injured and told police that Octavius was shot on the expressway, police said.

Lenardo Caro, 24, of Little Egg Harbor Township; Yahshaun Stukes-Williams, 19, of Mays Landing; and Shaun Stukes, 38, of Atlantic City, were each charged with four counts of unlawful possession of a weapon, possession of a weapon for an unlawful goal, one count of possession of an assault weapon and possession of a defaced firearm.

Five people, including a 16-year-old boy, have been charged after what New Jersey State Police called a "rolling shootout". Stukes-Williams and Stukes remain hospitalized. The driver of the vehicle, Hicks, was not injured and stated that Octavius had been shot as he was driving down the Expressway. It's unclear if any of the defendants has an attorney who can comment on the charges. They had released photos of the truck that were taken by security cameras before and after the shooting occurred.

Portions of the expressway have been closed while police investigate. "The investigation is still very active and updates will be supplied as new information becomes available". Troopers are still searching areas for additional evidence, so motorists could expect further police activity in the vicinity. Three also have been charged with employing a juvenile in a crime.

Investigations caused some traffic delays on the parkway and parts of the eastbound side of the expressway that connects the suburbs of Philadelphia with Atlantic City were closed Monday night as police investigated. He was dead from a gunshot wound.

Authorities are still investigating whether the shooting on the Parkway is connected to the one at the Wawa.

The Wawa convenience store and gas station stayed open, although police crime scene tape cordoned off the area around the suspect vehicle.